Networker

Re: [Networker] saving sub-dirs to different pool

2002-09-23 10:39:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] saving sub-dirs to different pool
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 10:43:28 -0400
Well, I must admit that in the past there were at least two occasions
where a client's (in this case, the same one) index became corrupt, and
I suspect it may have had something to do with this race condition or
contention as admonished in the previous update. I was never able to
prove that this was the cause, however. That was quite sometime ago, and
we have never had that occur again. We have several clients wherein we
do this kind of tomfoolery, and I've never had any problems in say the
last year and a half. I would add that in these cases, the groups may
overlap, but they do NOT start at the same time. I would think that if a
group needed to update the index, and the timeout is set high enough
then NetWorker SHOULD simply wait until the other group that is writing
to the index completes. Updating the index doesn't take the long, does
it? I don't see why a group that needs to update the index couldn't wait
if it's locked, but that's just my feeling. I don't consider my logic
irrefutable by any means.

George