Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] bare metal windows server 2003 restore

2010-06-11 10:00:10
Subject: [Bacula-users] bare metal windows server 2003 restore
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 14:57:49 +0100
Hi,

we have a windows server 2003 server here and realised that its disk setup
is in such a bad way that we want to reinstall it.  Never having done one,
we thought it would be nice to try a bare metal restore of the machine from
the backups (to spare disks).  Both c:\ and d:\ drives are entirely backed
up by Bacula using VSS.

I was expecting to:

1. Put a linux live cd in the server and boot it.
2. Partition the disk(s) appropriately.  Format them appropriately (NTFS).
3. Start a bacula-fd in linux.
4. Tell the bacula-dir to restore that server entirely through the running
   bacula-fd (probably need to do c:\ and d:\ separately).
5. Restore the MBR somehow (windows recovery cd maybe?)
6. Cross my fingers and reboot.

However, when I looked at the wiki, I found this article which seems a
little more complex.

  http://wiki.bacula.org/doku.php?id=windows_bare_metal_recovery:ntbackup

Are my steps [1-5] extremely naive?  Would that not work?  Do I have to go
the way the wiki page says?  I thought I recalled someone suggesting that
[1-6] should work.

Many thanks in advance for any info,

Gavin

PS MS SQL Server v5 is involved here.  Should having VSS mean that's okay
to just restore directly?  We do have database backups if need be, but it
would be nice if that wasn't needed.