Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Question about Priorities and Maximum Concurrent Jobs

2009-03-20 13:26:37
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Question about Priorities and Maximum Concurrent Jobs
From: John Lockard <jlockard AT umich DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:19:56 -0400
I stand somewhat corrected.  I was wrong in stating
that priority of a job on a certain media blocked
only jobs on that media.  It actually blocks all other
lower priority jobs from running no matter whether the
lower priority job is on the same media or not.

-John

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:04:48AM -0400, John Lockard wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a mix of disk and tape backups.  To disk I allow up to
> 20 jobs run concurrently.  On my tape library I have 3 tape
> drives, so only allow a max of 3 jobs to run concurrently.
>
> I run Full backups once a month, Differentials once a week
> and incrementals most days of the week.  I would prefer to
> give preference to a Full backup over a Diff or Incr and I'd
> like to give preference to a Diff over an Incr.
>
> So...
>
> I set:
>   Full backups to have a priority of 30
>   Differential backups to have a priority of 40
>   Incremental backups to have a priority of 50
>
> I figured that since I had concurrency setup with my "Max
> Concurrent Jobs" setting that this would happen...  If there
> was a "fight" for a medium, with no other medium currently
> free, that a Full would have preference to the medium over a
> Differential which would have preference over an Incremental.
>
> What I'm seeing is that if a Full is running on a certain
> type of storage, only other Fulls will run on that storage.
> If a full is running on one type of storage, other jobs
> (Diffs and Incrs) will run on the other types of storage.
> So, if I have a Full running to disk storage #1, then an Incr
> will run to disk storage #2, but not #1.  For disk storage I
> mostly understand this.
>
> This really becomes a problem for tape storage.  I would like
> to be able to run backups on the other 2 tape drives in my
> library when a Full backup is running.  I have several large,
> slow servers which take upwards of 36 hours to backup and
> during this time I can't backup anything of a lower Priority
> than that system which I'm currently backing up.
>
> Do I have to entirely can (forget) the notion of job Priorities
> except in the cases where I absolutely want a certain job to
> have exclusive rights to a backup medium?
>
> Thanks, in advance for all the help,
> -John
>
> --
> We have Enough Youth, How About A Fountain Of Smart?
>          John M. Lockard |  U of Michigan - School of Information
>  Unix and Security Admin |      1214 SI North - 1075 Beal Ave.
>       jlockard AT umich DOT edu |        Ann Arbor, MI  48109-2112
>  www.umich.edu/~jlockard |     734-615-8776 | 734-647-8045 FAX

"Time and time and time again, you wake up screaming
 and you wake up dead." - RevCo