Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Confusing over OpenSuse Packaging

2008-07-30 23:59:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Confusing over OpenSuse Packaging
From: "Mark V" <mvyver AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Falk Sauer" <falk AT hb-fein DOT de>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 13:59:35 +1000
On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 4:00 PM, Falk Sauer <falk AT hb-fein DOT de> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Bacula 2.2.8, Adic Scalar 24, 5,5TB Storage

You don't say which Distribution you're looking under.

> i've been a little bit confused over the packaging on the Buildservice in
> OpenSuse Repos, in the past i used the packages from SF and there are server
> packages like *-postgres and *-mysql so far so good, on the OS repo only one
> server package.

AFAICT there is only one openSUSE bacula package under the OpenSUSE:Factory.
The others are personal/private/experimental projects.
I think Phillip Storz project is one of the more complete, and seems
to employ the current bacula src.rpm script.
There is some attempt to try and merge OBS packaging efforts, but the
web based OBS collaboration tools aren't in place yet.
I'm still trying to get a working package, and will post details here
when I have something - though it will be incomplete.

> My production server runs a OS 10.2 but in SF only 10.3 and 11.0 packages ...

OK, for openSUSE 10.2 try Philip's project/package.

> is it possible to take the packages from OS repo without expected problems? I

No idea sorry.

> haven't a 2nd system (with all the components) for testing and i need a fast
> and painless upgrade solution to bacula 2.4.1 for this very busy production
> system.

I think the 2.4.1 release had an issue in some cases, so you may want
to wait for the 2.4.2 packages to become available.

> A self builded package on this 10.2 is not my preferred solution, OS
> buildservice is imho the better one.

Again I don't think there is an 'official' SUSE package so you'll just
be using somone else private project package.

> Has anyone used the packages from OS Buildservice on a system was growing with
> the packages from SF?

Not me.

> I think the only possible way should be rpm -e [SF packages] and then rpm -i
> [OS packages] ... right? Have anybody additional suggestions?

I'm not sure, maybe make sure you backup your config files before
doing anything.

HTH?
Mark