Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] SELinux xattrs

2008-07-29 06:52:08
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] SELinux xattrs
From: Frank Sweetser <fs AT WPI DOT EDU>
To: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 06:51:51 -0400
Arno Lehmann wrote:
>>> In any case, resetting the SELinux attributes is rather trivial ...
>> This is something I have to do. And could dedicate paid time to it, if I
>> feel that is going somewhere.
>
> Surely.
>
>> I have read that Amanda handles SELinux, but the information regarding
>> that is cryptic as well.
>
> As Amanda relies on dump or tar to do actual backups, you end up with the
> question of those handle the xattribs. dump usually does, regarding tar I'm
> unsure. the tar info and man pages on my system don't talk about that.

In the case of tar at least, the main upstream version is not selinux aware.
RedHat/Fedora ship with a version that has been patched to handle xattr
support, which should be helpful.  I can dig up the patch from the tar that
Fedora ships if anyone is interested.

>> I would rather use Bacula if possible.
>
> Very nice objective, so I'll see if I can provide some pointers.
>
>> Would like to discuss this with other interested parties, off-line if
>> necessary
>
> For now, let's keep this on-line. I believe others will be interested, too.
>

> First of all, I would recommend simply testing what happens when you back
> up files with extended attributes. Of course you shoud set "ACL Support =
> Yes" in your fileset.
>
> ACLs should be backed up and restored correctly.
>
> Then try some generic xattribs. If those are not saved and restored, you
> know where to start digging.
>
> Finally, run tests with SELinux related data in xattribs.
>
> In the end, you should know if xattrib support is complete, partially
> implemented, or totally non-existent.
>
> Once you know that, try to get other users with different platforms to
> confirm - you'll need an overview about what happens with different OSes
> and file systems as it's probably not a good idea to limit your (possible)
> work to few platforms.
>
> After you did all this, sum up your findings and start discussing them and
> what you'd like to see at bacula-devel. You'll probably find helpful advice
> there.
>
> In the meantime, it wouldn't hurt at all if you checked out the source from
> the svn repository and start digging through it - you'll need some
> understanding of it soon (hopefully :-)
>
> Does that sound useable?
>
> (By the way - I believe that SELinux is not widely used as it's complicated
> to use effectively. Actually, none of my customers uses it, and I assume
> they've got their reasons...)

It's not incredibly widely used across different distributions, but it's
seeing more and more use in RedHat and Fedora ones.  A lot of work has been
done on making it usable as well as secure in the last couple of years.  The
first pass had a well deserved reputation for making a system secure by making
it unusable, but recent versions are actually pretty good about "just working"
out of the box, and come with far, far better troubleshooting and
configuration tools.

WPI Senior Network Engineer   |  is simple, elegant, and wrong. - HL Mencken