Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] multidrive autochanger use

2008-07-18 12:21:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] multidrive autochanger use
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: "T. Horsnell" <tsh AT mrc-lmb.cam.ac DOT uk>, baculausers <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 12:21:27 -0400
On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:45 AM, T. Horsnell <tsh AT mrc-lmb.cam.ac DOT uk>
wrote:
> I'm new to Bacula and I'm having problems getting it to use both drives
> on my autochanger simultaneously. My config is:
>
> Bacula 2.4.1 on Centos 5.2
> A single machine which hosts a raid-array to be backed up and a
> two-drive LTO4 autochanger on which to back them up - so dir-daemon,
> sd-daemon and fd-daemon all run on the same box.
>
> What I want to be able to do is to tell Bacula to back up the entire
> raid-array, but to use both drives in the autochanger at once.
>
> Can I do this in one Job, or do I have to define two Jobs in
> bacula-dir.conf, each one configured to back up a part of the raid-array
> and each one configured to use a single drive in the autochanger (how)?

You can add the drives as well as the autochanger resource in your
bacula-dir.conf.

Here is what I have for my storage section of my bacula-dir.conf for
my 2 drive changer
Storage {
  Name = "DEV6-LTO-0"
  Address = dev6.radimg.pitt.edu
  SDPort = 9103
  Password = "AAAAAA"         # Console password
  Device = "LTO2-0"
  Media Type = "LTO-2"
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 5
}

Storage {
  Name = "DEV6-LTO2-1"
  Address = dev6.radimg.pitt.edu
  SDPort = 9103
  Password = "AAAAAAA"         # Console password
  Device = "LTO2-1"
  Media Type = "LTO-2"
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 5
}

Storage {
  Name = "DEV6-Changer"
  Address = dev6.radimg.pitt.edu
  SDPort = 9103
  Password = "AAAAAAA"         # Console password
  Device = "Magnum224-0"
  Media Type = "LTO-2"
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 5
}

> This would be bad news for me because the size of each part may change
> wildly, and so one tape drive may then spend much of its time idle.

You need to setup concurrency. There may be 5 or more places where you
need to set "Maximum Concurrent Jobs". At minimum you need it in the
main bacula-dir.conf, and the client and storage sections of that file
also. Also you need at least 2 jobs and may want to have more than one
pool.

John