Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Way to limit job size?

2008-07-02 03:19:51
Subject: [Bacula-users] Way to limit job size?
From: "Robert Wirth" <Robert.Wirth AT dfki DOT de>
To: baculausers <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 09:19:30 +0200
Hi!

I wonder if there's a way to limit the backup job size or runtime
for incremental jobs only.  I guess, no.

The particular problem is, that users, from time to time, are placing
some needless logfiles in the work diskspace.
We told to our users to use symbolic links to log space etc, but they
don't understand (or don't remember or what else).
We defined lots of exclusion rules, but they ever will create filenames
that don't match :-(
Then, the daily incremental backup might be 550 GB instead of 50 GB
(as at the past day...)

A limit of the runtime isn't a solution because the yearly full backup
runs up to 24 hours.  Since full and incremental runs are defined by
the same job resource, they use the same MaxRunTime.

A solution would be seperate limits for incremental, differential and
full jobs.  These limits could be runtime and/or job size and would
cancel if the limit is exceeded.
Better one failed daily backup than tapes full of waste data...

Any chance to define that with the existing option set?

Best,

        Robert

+++    German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence    +++
+++       I N F R A  -  S T R U C T U R E  -  G R O U P      +++
DFKI GmbH,ISG,Campus D32,Stuhlsatzenhausweg 3,66123 Saarbruecken
@office: +49-681-302-5572,-5514,-5078 @telefax: +49-681-302-5020
mailto:isg-support AT dfki DOT de   Germany   http://isg.dfki.uni-sb.de
Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer kuenstliche Intelligenz GmbH
- Firmensitz Trippstadter Strasse 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern

Geschaeftsfuehrung (executive board):
- Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender)
- Dr. Walter Olthoff

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats (supervisory board chairman):
- Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes

Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313