BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] sshd on client?

2008-12-26 16:01:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] sshd on client?
From: "Nils Breunese (Lemonbit)" <nils AT lemonbit DOT com>
To: gayleard AT eircom DOT net, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 22:00:28 +0100

I gave an example that read 'ssh username@client', not 'ssh client'.

>>> That is what I found to be the essential point in getting BackupPC
>>> working.
>>> Amazingly, it did not see to be stated clearly in any of the
>>> tutorials
>>> I looked at.
>>
>> Well, it's in the official docs and it's standard procedure for using
>> SSH with public key authentication.
>
> Where exactly do you think it says this in the official docs?

At the link I mentioned above. http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/ssh.html
  says:

"Key exchange

To allow BackupPC to ssh to the client as root, you need to place
BackupPC's public key into root's authorized list on the client. (...)"

> You say it is standard procedure;
> but it is not normal to ssh into a machine as a different user,

Why not? You login as the user you want to login as.

> and in the case of backuppc it is not clear that this is what is
> being done,
> unless one looks "behind the scenes".

I thought that was pretty clear actually. If you want to login as a
specific user which is different from the username you are currently
logged in as, you have to somehow tell ssh. No way around that.

> In my view, BackupPC is an excellent program,
> with two large provisos:
> the documentation is very bad,

I disagree completely. The docs on the site are excellent in my view.
Much better than for a lot of other open source tools I use. Do you
know about the BackupPC wiki? You can post clearer instructions there
if you have any. Or ask Craig to include specific changes.

> and the error messages (the 4 bytes nonsense) are even worse.

That one might be hard to tackle at first, yes. If you or someone else
could contribute a patch that would make this better, by all means let
the list know.

Nils Breunese.