BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

2008-11-13 21:08:25
Subject: [BackupPC-users] tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
From: davidekahn <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 18:37:00 -0500
It appears that that have changed the way smbclient works with version 3.2.3,
and it is causing this problem.  A problem identical to yours was reported as
being a bug in Ubuntred 8.10 (Intrepid):
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/backuppc/+bug/283652.  However, the
actual source of the problem is smbclient, which is called by backuppc.
Therefore, I reported a second bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/297025 that
will hopefully fix the problem.

The solution to your backup problem is to edit /etc/backuppc/config.pl on
server #2, which is using backuppc version 3.1.0 and smbclient 3.2.3.  Do not
make this modification to server #1, as it will break it.

There are three strings that you need to modify in config.pl:

    $Conf{SmbClientFullCmd}
    $Conf{SmbClientIncrCmd}
    $Conf{SmbClientRestoreCmd}

which control Samba backups and restore. In all three strings remove the "-N"
flag.

My understanding that the flag is no longer needed, because the login prompt is
automatically suppressed by smbclient when backuppc passes the password through
the PASSWD environment variable.  But for some unfathomable reason, when the
"-N" flag is used, the password does not get passed to Windows' LAN Manager.

Good luck.