BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Consistent (and frustrating!) 'child exited prematurely' errors

2008-06-19 10:24:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Consistent (and frustrating!) 'child exited prematurely' errors
From: "Leandro Tracchia" <ltracchia AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 10:24:28 -0400
Rob:

> Are you using 'sudo' to perform the backups?  If it's not configured
> correctly, it'll wait forever for you to enter a password.

the backup is not timing out because of an incorrect password.

> Is it possible that somebody has mounted a network drive within the share
> you're trying to back up?  That can cause a lot of extra file transfers,
> possibly leading to a timeout.

none of my clients are directly mounted to the shares i'm trying to
backup. the only machine that mounts the shares is the file server
(which is where backuppc is also running). there are no file transfers
during the backup jobs because the backup jobs run at night when there
is no network traffic.

> Run 'iftop -n' on the BackupPC machine to see if anything is actually being
> transfered during these backups.  Post your findings.  That'll help track
> down the problem.

i've never heard of 'iftop'. thanks for this suggestion, i will try this.