BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Pause backup jobs

2008-06-18 11:26:48
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Pause backup jobs
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: mark k <mkopenski AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 10:26:49 -0500
mark k wrote:
> Wondering if anyone one has found away to pause or suspend a backup
> job instead of stopping
>
> I am backing up several servers with large luns 750 gb to 2tb in size.
> With millions of tiny files.
>
> So everytime a new rsync job kicks off it has to rebuild the file list
> and the only time the backup job completes is on the weekends, when
> the jobs can run 24/7
> can only run about 8 hours a day on the weekdays.
>
> Is there a way to pause  the rsync on client and then resume it later,
> so that at least it will get a base full over a couple of nights and
> then incrementals should work normally after that.

I don't think this is possible, but you might want to look at the file
distribution on the target.  If you could split this into some number of
directories that are backed up separately and perhaps a catch-all run
that excludes the ones backed up individually it might go a lot faster.
  Also, it might help a lot to add RAM to the server or run fewer
concurrent jobs if it is swapping due to the size of the directory.  If
you have a current version of backuppc, it should save partial full runs
and accumulate parts until it is completed.  However, even incrementals
will have to transfer the entire directory structure over before
starting so it may continue to be a problem.