BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Permanent high ram usage

2008-06-02 23:06:49
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Permanent high ram usage
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom" <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 21:06:45 -0600
if you are concerned you can tune your virtual memory system.  google for your distro and "tune vm subsystem" and you will have great luck.

linux tends to cache commonly used files and libraries for faster access but can de-commit them as needed with very little performance hit.

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com> wrote:
On 06/02 04:47 , Stefan Mosleitner wrote:
> Backuppc execute Backup daily only from about 00:00 - 01:00 utc.
> -> The rest of the day I register permanent 96% ram usage at this machine
> (XEN VM with 500MB ram and no cpu-usage), is this normal?

Yes, it is normal for Linux to run at nearly 100% RAM usage. It caches data
which it has used recently, because that data may be used again. When it
needs RAM to run programs, it frees that cached data.

Look at the 'cached' value in the 'top' display. If that number becomes low,
or you see the Swap 'used' value become high, then you should be concerned.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator