BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Howto backup a laptop (with a dynamic IP behind a firewall) via SSH-tunnel?

2008-04-28 18:11:31
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Howto backup a laptop (with a dynamic IP behind a firewall) via SSH-tunnel?
From: kurt.jasper AT googlemail DOT com
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 00:11:19 +0200
Hello,

since I'm new to this list a short hello to everyone. I'm working for a small ngo and became something like the backup guy, mainly because I know more than my co-workers :-/

We have an ubuntu server, mainly for filesharing via samba and backups using backuppc. Our local pcs are backed up with backup pc, but now a coworker asked if I can also add his mobile laptop to the backup routine.
The laptop user is accessing the ubuntu server via ssh-tunneling (Port 139 for Samba) on windows xp sp2 and Cygwin

Question:
How can I backup a laptop to the backuppc-server via SSH? The Laptop has a dynamic IP and behind a firewall (roadwarrior).

I came across this post:

BackupPC Backups by SSH Tunnel
http://backuppc.wiki.sourceforge.net/How+to+backup+through+an+SSH+tunnel

but following the instructions I couldn't establish a connection and the part with the rsyncd-ping also failed.

Since I guess that some people out there are using Backuppc with laptops any hint or a more detailled howto would be really great.

Best regards from Berlin

- Kurt Jasper