BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup to USB disk.

2008-04-15 12:01:51
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup to USB disk.
From: Martin Leben <ml060223 AT leben DOT nu>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 17:38:31 +0200
Hi Daniel,

No, not quite.

If you want a clean file system on the drive you are going to remove you must
temporary stop BackupPC and unmount the file system first. When the drive is
removed you can mount the file system again and start BackupPC. This will cause
the RAID to run in degraded mode if you only have one disk left in the RAID,
but
will otherwise work as usual. (You don't have to run in degraded mode if you
are
rotating four disks in the scheme I proposed.) Stopping BackupPC and unmounting
the file system can't be done by hotplug, because it is already too late.

You don't have to stop BackupPC when you attach a drive. Just plug it in and
add
it to the RAID with "mdadm --add", which you might be able to get hotplug to do
for you.

Best regards,
/Martin Leben