BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Bear Metal Restore

2008-04-10 14:15:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Bear Metal Restore
From: Stephen Joyce <stephen AT physics.unc DOT edu>
To: Jack <jack AT coats DOT org>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 14:00:35 -0400 (EDT)
I have used Window's built-in ASR with good results. It backs up C:\, the
system state, and if on a DC, data in AD. To recover, you use your
Windows media and there's a prompt to press F2 to perform an ASR recovery.
See http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/howto-18.html .

For linux, I've always found the most reliable method to be to reinstall
(using kickstart, preseed, or whatever automated method your distro
supports) and then restore any data or custom configs from backup.

If you're using virtual machines, you can also backup and restore the
actual virtual disk files, just take care to follow the vendors
instructions (for instance, with vmware server you must make sure that the
vm is off or suspended when you copy the files).

HTH.

Cheers, Stephen
--
Stephen Joyce
Systems Administrator                                            P A N I C