BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Using SSH with private/public key with passphrase.

2008-04-08 04:12:55
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Using SSH with private/public key with passphrase.
From: romain.pichard AT valeo DOT com
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 10:12:25 +0200
Oh I'm really sorry, I didn't read your answer correctly.
I thonght that you've got an usb drive with keys in order to just connect
over ssh.
Now it's clear.

So, thank you for your help. I'll search some informations about ssh-agent.
I'll test it this evenning if I've got the time.

Have a nice day and thanks a lot for your advice.

Regards,

Romain

             Tino Schwarze
             <tino.schwarze@ti
             sc.de>                                                      A
                                       Romain
             08/04/2008 10:03          PICHARD/Mondeville/VIC/VALEO@VALEO
                                                                        cc
                                       backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
ne
                                                                     Objet
                                       Re: [BackupPC-users] Using SSH with
                                       private/public key with
                                       passphrase.

(CCing back to the list - you replied to me in personal)

Hi Romain,

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 09:09:54AM +0200, romain.pichard AT valeo DOT com wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your answer.
> Okay, it's a very good idea but it doesn't match with my needs.
> I would like to do my backups during the night and there will be a lot of
> backups.
> So it's very complicated to enter manually the passphrase or plug a USB
> disk for each time.

I didn't say you need an USB drive. It was just my use scenario (since
I've got no server at home, just a laptop and there isn't much space on
it).

> Consequently, what's means do you advice me ?

My advice: Forget the passphrase thing. It doesn't provide you with any
additional security. You may gain a little security by using ssh-agent
and entering the passphrase manually if you startup BackupPC (note: you
would only enter it once, then it would be stored in the ssh-agent and
is used automatically by the ssh's started by BackupPC).

Focus on securing your BackupPC server - it's critical anyway since it
collects a lot of data from a lot of systems. Backup systems need to be
at least as secure as the most critical system they back up!

HTH,

Tino.

--
„Es gibt keinen Weg zum Frieden. Der Frieden ist der Weg.” (Mahatma Gandhi)

www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.forteego.de

SC2N -S.A  Siège Social : 2, Rue Andre Boulle - 94000 Créteil  - 327 153
722 RCS Créteil

"This e-mail message is intended only for the use of the intended
recipient(s).
The information contained therein may be confidential or privileged, and
its disclosure or reproduction is strictly prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, please return it immediately to its
sender at the above address and destroy it."