BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Error: Unable to connect....

2008-04-07 16:43:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Error: Unable to connect....
From: Ashley Paul James <ashley.james AT uniserveteam DOT com>
To: "Tino Schwarze" <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 13:43:02 -0700
Hello Tino

Thanks for all the answers there, they all worked.  I wasnt getting my hopes up with BackupPC actually running after the changes, sure enough it didnt.
However I can now see all the hosts via the GUI. However when I ran the backups I am back to receiving the 'Fatal' or 'aborted' errors on two of the hosts and the 3rd host errors out as it cannot ping, which is strange as you can ping the host. Havent come across the 'no ping response' before.

This is occurring on two of the hosts...i recall this happening when I first setup Backup PC, but for the life of me its all blurry and cant remember.
I did move the .ssh dir which for me is located in /var/lib/backuppc.  There is no home directory called backuppc.
(2008-04-07 13:41:58 Got fatal error during xfer (No files dumped for share /home/)
2008-04-07 13:42:03 Backup aborted (No files dumped for share /home/))
One step closer
ashley

On 7-Apr-08, at 1:00 PM, Tino Schwarze wrote:

Hi Ashley,

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 11:32:49AM -0700, Ashley Paul James wrote:

> I am running backupPC on a ESX VM using an attached (via switch) LaCie
> NAS drive mounted using SMB. Being  a low cost drive this does not
> support NFS or Hardlinks or much else really.

Uh-oh. Poor-man's SAN? ;-) This isn't going to scream, performance wise.

> The setup:
> OS:Ubuntu
> NAS mounted using smb
> 273gig backuppc.img file formatted as ext2 and mounted on /var/lib/
> backuppc (this is a 'work around')

You should use ext3 since you'd want to avoid fsck'ing that 273 gig over
the network as far as possible. Unmount, run tune2fs -j on the image,
then remount as ext3.

> The latest problem is what seems a very basic problem, Im am receiving
> the 'Error:Unable to connect to BackupPC server' on all my hosts when
> the .img file is mounted  as /var/lib/backuppc
> As soon as I unmount the backuppc.img file from /var/lib/backuppc
> everything works fine.

Ah, you need to stop backuppc, then mount, then start it again.

> These are my two mount points:
> //192.168.10.70/backuppc on /mnt/net-storage type smbfs (rw)
> /mnt/net-storage/backuppc.img on /var/lib/backuppc type ext2 (rw,loop=/
> dev/loop0)
>
> And this is what I am running to mount these.
> smbmount //192.168.10.70/backuppc /mnt/net-storage -o
> username=backuppc,password=backuppc,uid=backuppc,gid=backuppc
> mount -o loop /mnt/net-storage/backuppc.img /var/lib/backuppc

Looks good to me.

> I copied over the pc directory from the local /var/lib/backuppc
> directory thinking that BackupPC requires this directory, but this did
> not work.
> I noticed that when I create files on the *.img file it uses root so i
> tried to run 'mount -o loop /mnt/net-storage/backuppc.img /var/lib/
> backuppc'  using username/password=backuppc but this did not work.

ext3 (which is ext2 plus a journal) preserves the user id and file
permissions of files stored on it (the uid/gid option is a workaround
for Samba->Linux integration), there is no point in setting one at mount
time. You have to copy the pc directory with "cp -a" or "rsync -aH", if I
remember correctly, so all file permissions etc. are preserved.

> I feel so close to actually running  a backup. As I said earlier, one
> door shuts and another one opens.

You are very close. :-)

HTH,

Tino.

--
„Es gibt keinen Weg zum Frieden. Der Frieden ist der Weg.” (Mahatma Gandhi)

www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.forteego.de