Amanda-Users

tar dumping to /dev/null

2003-09-18 07:49:34
Subject: tar dumping to /dev/null
From: Marc Cuypers <mozilla AT mgvd DOT be>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 13:45:02 +0200
Hi,

I'm using Debian Woody with amanda 2.4.2
When I run amcheck everything is OK.
When I run amdump, it is almost immediately done.

in runtar.*.log I find the following:

running: /bin/tar: /bin/tar --create --file /dev/null --directory /
--one-file-system --listed-incremental
/var/lib/amanda/gnutar-lists/ulysses.lan.publivandyck.besda2_0.new
--sparse --ignore-failed-read --totals .

It seems to me that tar is dumping to /dev/null.

Someone an idea why tar dumps to /dev/null?

disklist contains only one line
ulysses.lan.publivandyck.be     sda2    user-tar

The beginning of  /etc/amanda/daily/amanda.conf contains:

#
# amanda.conf - sample Amanda configuration file.
#
# If your configuration is called, say, "DailySet1", then this file
# normally goes in /etc/amanda/DailySet1/amanda.conf.
#
# for explanation of the parameters refer to amanda(8) and
# /usr/doc/amanda/WHATS.NEW.gz

org "Daily"     # your organization name for reports
mailto "mozilla AT mgvd DOT be"  # space separated list of operators at your
site
dumpuser "backup"   # the user to run dumps under
#
inparallel 4        # maximum dumpers that will run in parallel
netusage  4800      # maximum net bandwidth for Amanda, in KB per sec

# a filesystem is due for a full backup once every <dumpcycle> days
dumpcycle 0 days    # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
tapecycle 8 tapes   # the number of tapes in rotation

bumpsize 20 MB      # minimum savings (threshold) to bump level 1 -> 2
bumpdays     1      # minimum days at each level
bumpmult     4      # threshold = bumpsize * (level-1)**bumpmult

#runtapes     9         # explained in WHATS.NEW
#tpchanger "no-changer" # the tape-changer glue script, see TAPE.CHANGERS
tapedev "/dev/nst0" # Linux @ tuck, important: norewinding
# tapedev "/dev/nrst8"  # or use the (no-rewind!) tape device directly

tapetype HP-DDS3        # what kind of tape it is (see tapetypes below)
labelstr "^[A-Z]{4,5}DAG_[0-9][0-9]$"   # label constraint regex: all
tapes must match

diskdir "/tmp/amandadump"       # where the holding disk is
disksize 290 MB         # how much space can we use on it
#diskdir "/dumps/amanda/work"   # additionaly holding disks can be specified
#diskdir "/mnt/disk4"
#disksize 1000 MB       #   they are used round-robin

# Amanda needs a few MB of diskspace for the log and debug files,
# as well as a database.  This stuff can grow large, so the conf directory
# isn't usually appropriate.

infofile "/var/lib/amanda/daily/curinfo"    # database filename
logfile  "/var/log/amanda/daily/log"    # log filename

# where the index files live
indexdir "/var/lib/amanda/daily/index"

# tapetypes
#
# Define the type of tape you use here, and use it in "tapetype" above.
# Some typical types of tapes are included here.  The tapetype tells amanda
# how many MB will fit on the tape, how big the filemarks are, and how
# fast the tape device is.
#
# For completeness Amanda should calculate the inter-record gaps too, but it
# doesn't.  For EXABYTE and DAT tapes this is ok.  Anyone using 9 tracks for
# amanda and need IRG calculations?  Drop me a note if so.

#wrote 371472 32Kb blocks in 1136 files in 13573 seconds (short write)
#wrote 368869 32Kb blocks in 2263 files in 15111 seconds (short write)
define tapetype HP-DDS3 {
    comment "HP-TAPE DDS3"
    length 11688 mbytes
    filemark 73 kbytes