Amanda-Users

Re: Compile Help Request

2002-11-29 19:44:06
Subject: Re: Compile Help Request
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Justin Usenet <justin_usenet AT yahoo DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 19:04:07 -0500
On Friday 29 November 2002 10:41, Justin Usenet wrote:
>Time to ask for help with a compile error. This maybe
>a challenge because I am talking antique here: SunOS
>4.1.2
>and I can't find the answer in the usual places
>(faqomatic, google, yahoo groups, marc, trying to grok
>source code)
>
>SunOS 4.1.2, gcc version 2.7.2.2,

Hoo boy.  Where can we send the flowers?  While that compiler was
the standard for several years while the gnu folks worked on other
things, it was also one of the reasons behind redhat going it alone
and forcing the issue when they started working on it about 24 or
so months ago.  That tended to bring out the fangs on both sides,
but it did get the gnu people off tdc and working once again on a
compiler that I'd best describe as buggier than a 10 day old
carcass.  I used it on the amiga years ago, and was amazed at how
far from the k&r ansi C it was.  Lots of what looked like perfectly
legal code bombed, and it was try this and try that till it worked.

Is there any way you can update it to at least 2.9.5 without
breaking the rest of that sunos system?

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M