Amanda-Users

Re: DAT hardware or software compression

2002-11-20 09:49:37
Subject: Re: DAT hardware or software compression
From: Gerhard den Hollander <gerhard AT jasongeo DOT com>
To: marc.bigler AT day DOT com
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 15:15:29 +0100
* marc.bigler AT day DOT com <marc.bigler AT day DOT com> (Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at
02:13:08PM +0100)
> Hello,
>
> I have got here a DDS-3 tape drive which has per default hardware
> compression enabled and was wondering what is the best deal with AMANDA.
> Would you guys suggest hardware compression or should I disable hardware
> compression and have software compression done for example with gzip ?

It;'s a trade off:
Software compression gives better compression, but btakes CPU cycles .
If your machine can spare a lot of cpu cycles, use software compression, if
it is low on CPU cycles, do not.

Another big (and I mean big) benefit of software compression is that amanda
is much better capable of estimating how much data will fit on a tape.

And finally, while tape vendors usually claim a 2:1 compression, reality
shows it's more like 1:1.5 (unless you are working with large volumes of
seismic data, in which case the ratio drops to 1:0.95
(in other words, compressed data actually takes more tape then
uncompressed).

Currently listening to: Roger Waters - 5.01 AM (The Pros and Cons of Hitch
Hiking)

        Gerhard,  <@jasongeo.com>   == The Acoustic Motorbiker ==
--
   __O  "Wenn ist das Nunstuck git und Slotermeyer?