Amanda-Users

Re: Newbie question; Write Protected? just Permission denied?

2002-11-19 07:47:22
Subject: Re: Newbie question; Write Protected? just Permission denied?
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Lewis Getschel <lgetsche AT mail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 07:11:13 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 at 5:42pm, Lewis Getschel wrote

> I tried the erase as the amanda user, and I got permission denied. I
> suspect that amlabel is simply saying write-protected when in fact it is
> just permission denied.

Yep.

> As a newbie that has looked in the FOM, and read the mailing list for
> almost a week, I'm confused as to WHAT group I should compile under.
> Some people say operator, others disk, others xxx (take your pick
> <grin>). Is the group you use more dependant on what distro you use
> (hence the permission issue?) Is the group my problem?

You can assign the user/group of you run amanda as in any way which will
work for you.  On Red Hat Linux, I do amanda:disk (as you did).  Make sure
that /dev/nst0 has the proper ownership and permissions -- for me
/dev/nst0 is owned by root:disk with a mode of 660.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering