Amanda-Users

Re: multiple tapes

2002-10-22 01:53:42
Subject: Re: multiple tapes
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Joseph Sirucka <Joseph.Sirucka AT team.telstra DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 01:36:47 -0400
On Monday 21 October 2002 02:09, Joseph Sirucka wrote:
>Hi All
>
>I would like to ask the question of being able to back partitions
> with amanda over multiple tapes. E.g. backuping up one partition
> with three tapes etc.

Amanda cannot span one backup file across more than one tape.  Its
considered to be a huge dependability loss to do so, and likely
that will never be implemented by amanda.

However, there are other ways of approaching the tape size vs
partition size dilemma.

The most commonly done method requires that you use tar, not dump.
This has several advantages in that one can name a directory and
tar will recurse thru that directory and all beyond it.  It also
has the advamntage that there are 2 or 3 ways to define an
exception, a location(s) that is not to be backed up, a large
advantage IMO.  These are things that dump cannot do.

What you do is, using my 37 gig /usr as an example, is make entries
in the 'disklist' that reach one more directory level up the tree,
as in /usr/bin is an entry, /usr/local is another, continueing
until you have all the second level subdirs of /usr defined.

This method also allows you to fine tune the compression level or
use/not use on a per subdir basis as theres no use wasting time
trying to compress a directory full of tar.gz, or .bz2 files, they
might even get bigger!

I'm backing up a 60 gig system here, with about 25 gigs used, onto a
single 4gig tape each night, on a current dumpcyle of 6 days,
averageing about 2.5 gigs on the tape each night over that time
period.  As it appears I still have tape capacity to spare, I may
move the dumpcycle to 5 days eventually.  I went from 7 to 6 on Oct
9th, and I've been waiting to see how that balances out over the
rest of the month.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M