Amanda-Users

Re: an easy? question:

2002-10-08 11:42:01
Subject: Re: an easy? question:
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Einar Matveinen <tuulen_ukko AT gmx DOT net>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 11:04:27 -0400
On Tuesday 08 October 2002 10:11, Einar Matveinen wrote:
>¡Hi!, I'm a sysadm using amanda for a year ago. I'm very pleased
> with this software, i've a question for you:
>
>I'm using compression with GNU-tar (the best algorythm) and i want
> to reduce the compression algorythm to fast. If i change the
> lines in the amanda.conf file,
>
>compress server best,
>
>for
>
>compress server fast,
>
>May i use normally the current cycle and configuration that i have
> now??

Probably.  The major areas to worry about are those things that
would be effected by a reduced compression.  Like whats the current
average tape usage per run.

In terms of server vs client compression, where there are clients
that can do that, is the fact that if done on the client, less data
has to be moved to the server, and since the clients can be run in
parallel, they can be collectively faster than trying to do it all
on the server just because it has the horsepower.

One trick I did early on was to compress everything, then look at
the emailed reports, and change the dumptype to a non-compressing
dumptype for any entry in the disklist whose compression showed as
being in excess of 100%, indicating that the data actually grew,
which can happen if you have an archive directory where its all
been smunched as much as possible already.  Here, many of mine will
compress to <20%. so it balances out to maybe 60% on an average
run.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M