Amanda-Users

Re: a quick question

2002-10-04 13:49:33
Subject: Re: a quick question
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 19:29:52 +0200
Gene Heskett wrote:
On Friday 04 October 2002 11:15, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

On Fri, 4 Oct 2002 at 10:54am, c white wrote

i've been running amanda for over a year now and every time i
get a report it tells me that the esitmated time for the job is
3 minutes, when it actually take almost 1.5 hours, why is this?

That's "Estimate" time, not estimated time.  "Estimate time" is
how long it takes amanda to run a faux backup on all your
filesystems to get an estimate of how big the various level
backups would be, and choose what level to do on every
filesystem.  Look in /tmp/amanda/sendsize*debug on your clients
to see what amanda is doing during the estimate phase.

That must be a fairly small system this gentleman is estimating. Here, with 37 entries in the disklist, and serialized by use of a spindle number, its about an hour, then another 1.5 to 2.5 to finish, some of which is time in the compressor, so the drive sits idle for a few minutes occasionally. Dropping the spindle number useage so all the dumpers can run at the same time only seems to hammer the hard drive harder without significantly reducing runtime. Just my middle of the night observation though.

When using dump instead of GNUtar you could get in the minute-range
instead of in the hour-range.  (But dump has other problems, so
sometimes you need to use tar instead. Like me.)

--
Paul Bijnens, Xplanation                           Tel  +32 16 40.51.40
Interleuvenlaan 15 H, B-3001 Leuven, BELGIUM       Fax  +32 16 40.49.61