Amanda-Users

permissions issue

2002-08-08 17:53:18
Subject: permissions issue
From: Ben Lutgens <blutgens AT sistina DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 16:38:24 -0500
Amcheck tells me the following:
Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
ERROR: samba2: [could not access /dev/hdc1 (hdc1): Permission denied]
ERROR: samba2: [could not access /dev/hda1 (hda1): Permission denied]
ERROR: samba2: [can not read/write /etc/dumpdates: Permission denied]
Client check: 1 host checked in 0.030 seconds, 3 problems found

[root@samba2 amanda]# ls -l /dev/hd{a,c}1
brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,   1 Apr 11 09:25 /dev/hda1
brw-rw----    1 root     disk      22,   1 Apr 11 09:25 /dev/hdc1

[root@samba2 amanda]# groups amanda
amanda : disk backup

What gives? I'm not about to make my disks worldreadable at the block
level. I've seen alot of questions about this on the mailing lists but no
answers. Any ideas?

BTW: I'm using amanda-2.4.3b2 on RH-7.3 boxes.

--
Ben Lutgens                              | http://people.sistina.com/~blutgens/
System Administrator     | http://www.sistina.com/

"If you love something set it free, if it doesn't come back to you
hunt it down and set it on fire" -- George Carlin