ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Bandwidth

2014-05-15 08:26:41
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Bandwidth
From: Rick Adamson <RickAdamson AT BILOHOLDINGS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 12:24:46 +0000
Thomas,
To get some immediate consider using the "randomize" setting on the TSM server
combined with an extended backup window and limiting the number of machines
that can backup concurrently with the "maxschedsessions" setting.

This will allow you to have some control over how many clients backup at one
time.

For example; if you set your backup window for say 4 hours then tweak the
randomize setting which will stagger your start times of the client backups by
a set percentage. This keeps all of them from initiating their backups at once.
Additionally, maxschedsessions will allow you to limit how many actual clients
can connect at one time.

Obviously each environment is different and actual settings depend on variables
such as total number of clients, amount of data, speed of network, etc, etc.

I suggest starting off conservatively, monitor the actlog for issues, and tweak
as needed. I have used this approach many times for customers while campaigning
for increased bandwidth resources.

Rick Adamson