ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backups of TSMVE Datamovers

2013-05-20 11:04:01
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backups of TSMVE Datamovers
From: "Arbogast, Warren K" <warbogas AT IU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 14:56:50 +0000
Hi David and Wanda,
We're planning to use another data mover on each ESX cluster to backup the data
mover that does the snapshots. The main advantage we see is that the restore
would be simple, and it is unlikely we would restore single files to it -which
using a regular client backup would provide.  The downside is having to create
and maintain 12 new data movers whose only job right now is to backup one small
virtual machine each. The extra data movers  may get more work to do in the
future if we split up cluster backups among more than one data mover. We didn't
think very far or very deeply about this question, and may change solutions
after more experience clarifies the merits of the alternatives.

Either should work, and it should be easy to switch. So my priority is to get a
backup, any backup working.

Keith