ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] hsm for windows problem

2013-03-08 03:12:46
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] hsm for windows problem
From: Stefan Bender <stefan.bender AT DE.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 09:10:33 +0100
Hi Gary,
HSM for Windows is organizing its data in user-defined file spaces. That
is different from what you know from the Backup-Archive client. The BA is
creating its file spaces automatically based on the name of the host and
the volume. In HSM for Windows you have to create your own file space,
like 'HSM-drive-g' and specify that as target file space for your
migration.
With that you have the option to store all data from all volumes in one
big file space. That's not recommended by me as this is making queries
slower. Most customers have one file space per volume. You also may chose
to migrate all your office documents to a file space called like
'office-docs' and all your videos to a file space called like 'movies' and
so on.

If you want to get rid of all data from your G: drive, you do not have to
use reconcile. You can use the command line tool dsmclc, which is located
in the HSM client's install directory. That's by default on an English
system "C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\hsmclient".
The syntax for deletion everything that was migrated from G: is "dsmclc
delete -g <your file space name> <your drive letter> * *"
If your file space name is HSM-drive-G the command will look like:
"dsmclc delete -g HSM-drive-G  G: * * "
This will delete everything to the TSM server that was stored in the file
space 'HSM-drive-G' and that was located at the time of migration in a
path starting with the drive letter G: .
If you want to verify before what data is there, you can replace the
keyword "delete" by "list". In the example above it is like:
"dsmclc list -g HSM-drive-G  G: * * "
With that you will receive a full list of all files that have been
migrated from your G: drive into that file space.

In case you do not know the name of the used file space, use the dsmclc
command to get a list of all file spaces and run the list or delete
command after that for each file space. The command to get a list of all
file spaces is:
"dsmclc listfilespaces * "

However before you really delete things, I rather would like to understand
the errors you are receiving. As far as I understand the situation,
deleting the data from TSM will not resolve the errors. So I think I am
missing a piece in the puzzle.

Regarding your other questions:
There is an FAQ on the web for HSM for Windows and it's UNIX counterpart
TSM for Space Management. Here is the link:
http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21474412
I hope it has some valuable information for you. If something is missing
or not clear to understand, please let me know. I will try to improve it
in that case.

And finally the hardware mappings: HSM is storing the data on TSM with
their original names. That means with the name of the file at the time of
migration. That file name includes the host or cluster name as well as the
drive letter. In case you are changing a drive letter, your host or
cluster name or you take a disk from one host and put it into another
host, some HSM operations will not work as expected. This especially
includes reconcile. If you want to get some more explanation about this,
may be you start another thread on the forum.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards

                Stefan Bender

IBM Software Group, Tivoli Software Development  "Tivoli Storage Manager"