ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Exchange information store restore speed

2013-02-22 05:22:43
Subject: [ADSM-L] Exchange information store restore speed
From: Bent Christensen <BVC AT COWI DOT DK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 11:20:34 +0100
So, it happened for us also :(

Due to a series of unlikely events our oldest and largest Exchange Public
Folder information store got corrupted and went down with a bang. According to
the on-site Microsoft Premium Field Engineer the store is fubar so we have
started a restore. The size of the store is 3.5 TB (!), and the restore started
out pretty well, at the speed that we would expect from the combination of
server, storage and network.

However, after a few hours restore speed began to slowly decrease, and here
after almost 24 hours it is down to a crawl. No errors to be seen anywhere, no
network, CPUs or storage systems are maxed out - the restore just continues
flawlessly, but at something like a tenth of the expected speed.

TSM client and server software are rather old, Exchange TDP is ver. 5.2.1.0 and
TSM server is ver. 5.5.2.1. Hardware is 2-3 years old and giga-bit connected.
We do not see this as an hardware issue.

Anyone seen something like this before and does anyone have any of idea of why
the restore runs at turtle speed?

- Bent