ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] 1 GBit FC sufficient for tape library?

2013-02-12 12:06:18
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] 1 GBit FC sufficient for tape library?
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 12:03:59 -0500
Another thought:  You really want to avoid the LTO4 drives dropping out of
streaming mode, even if 1Gb/s is enough bandwidth to theoretically move the
amount of data you need to move.  I believe LTO4 will operate down to
30-40MB/s.  Worth checking, since I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure you can
drop as low as 40MB/s and still stay in streaming mode.  Once you drop out of
streaming mode, your throughput will go in the dumper, and you won't get
anything close to 1Gb/s throughput.

--
Paul Zarnowski                            Ph: 607-255-4757
CIT Infrastructure / Storage Services     Fx: 607-255-8521