ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] snapshotroot for scheduled backups

2012-08-07 15:27:38
Subject: [ADSM-L] snapshotroot for scheduled backups
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 15:20:05 -0400
NetApp / nSeries backup question (non-NDMP backup):

Has anyone else wanted to use the snapshotroot option for scheduled backups run
from a NAS client?  We run scheduled backups from NAS clients for shares on a
vFiler.  snapdiff backups are not supported on vFilers, so we would like to do
the backup against a snapshot, rather than from the active share.  This will
create a more atomic backup copy which is desirable especially for larger
shares.  It seems that the snapshotroot option would be perfect for doing this,
except for the fact that it only seems to work for 'selective' or 'incremental'
backups run from the command line.  I don't see a way to do this for scheduled
backups.

It would be nice if you could put something like:

include.fs /nas-filesystem/.snapshot/nightly.0 -snapshotroot=/nas-filesystem/
in the dsm.sys or dsm.opt file.

Has anyone figured a way around this, and/or are there other folks who have
wished for this?

..Paul

--
Paul Zarnowski                            Ph: 607-255-4757
CIT Infrastructure / Storage Services     Fx: 607-255-8521