ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TDP for Exchange 2010 and Mailbox Restore

2010-07-19 16:16:39
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TDP for Exchange 2010 and Mailbox Restore
From: "Prather, Wanda" <wPrather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 20:15:36 +0000
Hi Del,

Thanks SO MUCH for responding.
That is the doc I am using (the -01 version of the book), and I have to admit
I'm struggling with it!  (There are now so many combinations of Exchange 200x,
VSS-software, and VSS-hardware that I'm finding it very difficult to figure out
which options apply to which combination.)

On this Exchange2010 server, there's just Exchange 2010, the TSM BA client
6.2.1, the TDP 6.1.2, Microsoft Win2K8 64, and me.  No SVC, Copy Services, or
VSS hardware assist.

1)
On P. 87 of the book, under "use VSS as the default backup method" option, it
says "This parameter is unavailable if the Microsoft Exchange VSS Integration
Module is not installed."  That's the "module" I'm asking about - is it Copy
Services only?

 2)
 I figure we MUST be getting VSS backups - we can run fulls and incrs from the
GUI, and restore a DB.  So  if VSS is the only option for 2010,  well... must
be getting it.  However:

I have exec.cfg set to location BOTH, and VSSPOLICY set to keep 3 versions
local.  However, when we click restore, all the fulls and incrs show up with
"backup location : TSM server".  When we try to run a restore, we have no place
to select the VSS local copy (which would be great for mailbox-level restores).

P. 8 in the book says:  "Backups can be stored on local shadow volumes, Tivoli
Storage Manager server storage, or both locations", and nowhere in the VSS
planning section does it say a hardware provider is required.

The glossary says " VSS Fast Restore: A function that uses a Microsoft Volume
Shadow Copy Service (VSS) software provider to restore VSS Backups (IBM Data
Protection for Exchange database files and log files) that reside on local
shadow volumes.)

 So, am I supposed to be able to keep BOTH local VSS and TSM copies?  That's
the problem I'm having now.