ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] IBM bureaucracy strikes again

2009-12-22 08:32:55
Subject: [ADSM-L] IBM bureaucracy strikes again
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 08:30:54 -0500
If you haven't been to the TSM Support Page
(http://www.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html)
 very recently, you'll be dismayed to learn that this helpfully
product-specific page is going away - being replaced by a generalized facility
which you get to from the current TSM Support Page by scrolling down a very
long list of products to find TSM, then select one category of things you want
to see, then wait for their website to grind and produce a page with just that
information.  You can navigate to other sub-areas from the left pane, but it
can entail considerable delays.  And because it's generalized, there's no page
title to quickly let you know you're looking at TSM stuff.

Someone at IBM will probably get a bonus this year for thinking up this method
of improving IBM's internal web pages organization ... by obliterating the
tailored product page that we all found so useful over the years, where we
could quickly get at information we needed.  IBM management's focus seems to be
on satisfying organizational directions more than best meeting customer needs.

    Richard Sims