ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up EVA storage without TSM Clients

2009-12-03 14:11:18
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up EVA storage without TSM Clients
From: Bob Booth <booth AT ILLINOIS DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 13:10:39 -0600
On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 09:46:01AM -0800, Mario Behring wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have an EVA Storage that I need to backup because of a hardware upgrade
> that will take place.
>
> I was thinking about using TSM to backup all data on this Storage before the
> EVA hardware upgrade.
>
> My question is....there are many servers connected on this Storage using its
> disks.....how can I use TSM to backup all data on the storage without having
> to install TSM Clients on every server that uses it? Consider that there are
> several VMware virual machines that also have its data on this EVA storage.
>
> Can I backup the data directly from the EVA using TSM? Is there any other TSM
> product that does that?

If you have a 'snapshot' license, you can do a regular snapshot, then use
various backend machines to do TSM image backups.  We do this for our
Mirapoint mail appliance systems.

You may be able to just have one backend, such as a linux box, that can deal
with various filesystem formats, like ntfs, ufs, etc.  Create the snapshots
and present them to your backend box, then use 'dsmc backup image' to back
them up.  This is a simple explanation, but it can work.

hth,

bob