ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Tough questions for Netapp representatives

2009-05-06 11:41:24
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Tough questions for Netapp representatives
From: Shawn Drew <shawn.drew AT AMERICAS.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 11:38:28 -0400
One of their backup products is "Snapvault"

Frankly, NDMP is horrible.    It is such a pain to perform restores. Also,
since you have to do periodic fulls and differential incrementals, it
generates so much waste data that we can't store all the tapes in the
library, so we have to run around for tapes.   It's really seems that it
is targetted towards the longer-term archive side of the house.
This is really the fault of NDMP, not TSM.  Maybe if the TOC was stored in
the DB, it might be marginally better, but probably not worth it.

On the other hand, Snapvault is made for the daily, short term backup. If
you can afford it, lie, cheat and steal to get this!   It basically let's
you do the normal type of netapp snapshots, but let's you store it on a
separate file server.  (I.E. cheaper, lower performance SATA disk)
Although we haven't enabled it yet, they also let you do their form of
deduplication on the snapvault side while leaving the source.  The problem
with snapvault is that it doesn't really work with tape.  You can hack up
some scripts to manage this sort of this, but it's ugly. (Basically a
snapmirror to tape)

I haven't tried their VTLs or any of that.  Just an opinion on Snapvault.

I think they also have a "Vseries" product that let's you use your own SAN
storage, but use the Netapp front end.

Regards,
Shawn
Shawn Drew

Internet
mishagreen AT GMAIL DOT COM

Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
05/06/2009 02:35 AM
Please respond to
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

cc

Subject
[ADSM-L] Tough questions for Netapp representatives

I've just been notified that Netapp sales people will pay us a visit
in about a week from now and try to talk us into buying their backup
solutions. What tricky questions should I be asking them? I don't
exactly know what products they will  be talking about, but I guess it
will be about their VTL and/or FAS systems.

Please email me in private. I promise to post a summary of all
interesting questions/ideas that I will receive after my meeting.
 --
Warm regards,
Michael Green

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for
the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error,
please delete it and immediately notify the sender. Any use not in accord
with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial,
is prohibited except formal approval. The internet can not guarantee the
integrity of this message. BNP PARIBAS (and its subsidiaries) shall (will)
not therefore be liable for the message if modified. Please note that certain
functions and services for BNP Paribas may be performed by BNP Paribas RCC, Inc.