ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] How to exclude network drives

2008-12-13 09:10:39
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] How to exclude network drives
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 15:09:24 +0100
On Dec 13, 2008, at 2:50 , Roger Deschner wrote:

We have some users who are (ab)using TSM to back up network drives
that
they have mapped. I want to stop this, via something in a Client
Option
Set. How would I go about coding such a blanket exclusion, when I
don't
know what the name of the system hosting the drive, or its drive
letter,
might be?

I guess these are workstation users that don't see the bill, since
server administrators know what they are doing and know how the
backups work.

I'd think that there is an underlying problem, maybe because restores
from the servers take a long time, because somebody at the helpdesk
has to do it and is overloaded and the user wants his restore now? You
really need to find out why.

As to the technical problem: write a policy and just cancel the TSM
accounts for the users who don't respect it. It's the best way. There
is no centrally managed way.

              Academic Computing & Communications Center
== You are making progress when every mistake you make is a new one.
===

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post