ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Remote tape drives

2008-11-19 10:07:26
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Remote tape drives
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 10:05:59 -0500
>> On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 16:22:30 -0500, Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT
>> JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG> said:

> Yes. We occasionally see onsite filling volumes reclaimed. The mix
> of tape contents that causes this is typically something like the
> following: 51% of the tape occupied by files that have gone inactive
> and then aged out of the TSM database, 29% occupied by files still
> listed in the TSM database, and 20% available for writing more
> files.

I've whined about this from time to time...  I've had tapes 10% full
get 60% reclaimable and then they get copied.  I see no reason to
reclaim a filling tape unless you figure you can get back at least

    (reclaimpercent * max(estcapacity,actualcap))

bytes.  In other words, -never- waste your effort trying to copy a
tape that's only 1/3 full.

If you think about it, you can push a huge amount of your tape
inventory into PENDING status this way: take a 10% full volume, 60%
reclaimable, hey presto, a new PENDING volume for only ca. 50G of
motion.

- Allen S. Rout