ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Volume size on sequential disk storage pools

2008-09-18 10:43:33
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Volume size on sequential disk storage pools
From: "Conway, Timothy" <tim.conway AT JBSSWIFT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 08:42:21 -0600
I know of no TSM-based limit.
I personally have 1672 25037MB FILE-class volumes on 88 filesystems. The
volume size was chosen to entirely fill the filesystems.  The filesystem
size was chosen to fit evenly within the LUNs.  The LUN size was chosen
to exactly fill optimally-available arrays.  The array size was chosen
to use one disk in each enclosure of the storage device.  RAID5 across
11 enclosures FAStT - 372G drives.
I can pretty much always keep the LTO3 saturated when reading from these
volumes... Though I was tempted to make one volume per filesystem, just
to keep TSM from insisting on concentrating its I/O into a single path.