ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM/DR Query

2008-02-22 10:31:34
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM/DR Query
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:31:01 -0500
-----Adrian Compton wrote: -----

>We use TDP to backup INFORMIX via onbar, and logical logs are
>backed up too as and when they get full. This can be every 15
>minutes on a busy day, but have enough logs to last about 2 days
>without backing them up.
>
>I would like some ideas on how to:
>
>1.    Recover TSM in a DR situation to be able to restore INFORMIX
>and the last logical log. In other words, have a TSM DBB backup
>after each INFORMIX log backup.
>
>We do use Incr TSM Dbb backups, but can only use the limitation of
>32 between FULL Backups
>
>We have a DR plan in place, and it is tested bi-annually per site.
>We have 2 sites approx 1200km apart link via 512kbs Diginet line
>
>We can recover Informix to a point in time, but the business
>requirement is now to be able to recover to the last logical log
>i.e. 15 minutes prior.
>
>2.    I have thought of having a STG on the remote TSM Server for
>the logical logs, and export the node data each time a logical
>log gets backed up (approx 5mb per log)

It would probably be easier to replicate the more recent log files
at the other location by means other than TSM, such as rsync. In
a DR situation you would use TSM to restore the Informix database
as it was at the last full backup, and then read the replicated
logs from the other location and use them to roll the database
forward.