ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM locked me out!!!!

2008-01-03 10:43:07
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM locked me out!!!!
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 10:37:10 -0500
On Jan 3, 2008, at 10:13 AM, Loon, E.J. van - SPLXM wrote:

Hi *SM-ers!
After a long time I tried logging on to my test TSM server, but I
couldn't.
I canceled the server (kill -9) and started it in the foreground.

General Unix advice: Always do a simple 'kill <PID>' on a process
(which is equivalent to 'kill -TERM <PID>'), which gives the process
the opportunity to exit cleanly.  'kill -9' is a SIGKILL, which
cannot be intercepted by the process, so clean termination cannot be
performed, which can result in bad stuff (technical term).

It
seemed to be related to an unexpected system date...

See IBM Technote 1142353 (which doesn't take into account 5.3 changes
to the ENable SESSions command: I've submitted feedback on that
Technote).

   Richard Sims