ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] HSM practical limit?

2007-07-13 11:06:11
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] HSM practical limit?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 11:01:40 -0400
Mark -

I agree with your point that modern disk is cheap to purchase, which
can reduce the value of HSM.  However, many computer rooms are
struggling with the heat and power issues of a lot of rack mount
systems and hot-running disk.  The escalating cost of energy and
pressing problems of global warming really need to be considered.  As
in our case, HSM often used for storing a vast amount of static
information (system logs, accounting files, installation packages,
etc.) which seldom needs to be looked at.  It makes more sense to
exploit the HSM tie to existing tape library storage to hold such
bulk on dormant, rather than active, media, with stub file
representation in familiar directory structures (as opposed to TSM
Archive storage, where "visibility" is inconvenient).  So, we accept
the warts of Unix HSM for the value it provides us.

   Richard Sims