ADSM-L

Re: Groupwise Backup

2006-09-13 18:47:40
Subject: Re: Groupwise Backup
From: Marco Malgarini <marco AT MALGARINI DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 08:42:57 +1000
Tsafs /NoCachingMode will not have an effect at the first incremental backup
but will increase the backup speed (file scanning) by 1/3 at consecutive
incremental backups.

Go to:

http://www.novell.com/documentation/oes/index.html?page=/documentation/oes/s
msadmin/data/hhc3nq5m.html

To read a more detailed Novell explanation

Tsafs standard is to load in cachingmode (by simply typing tsafs in the
Netware console will change it to this setting) so we use the nocachingmode
as a preschedule command (can be defined in the client optfile)

As to the tsafs /enableGW=true (in binary true = 1 false = 0)

It guarantees in incremental online GroupWise backups consistency of the
GroupWise post office.

The GroupWise post office is not a database but a conglomerate of millions
of small file <5kB.

For more information go to:

http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?10095865.htm

We achieve as well 30GB/hr backup speed per post office, but up to 110GB/hr
aggregate backup speed over all NetWare nodes during a backup.

Kind Regards

Marco Malgarini

Malga Consulting