ADSM-L

Re: MAXSIZE

2006-03-13 12:25:00
Subject: Re: MAXSIZE
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 18:24:31 +0100
Richard Sims wrote:
> On Mar 13, 2006, at 6:00 AM, Remco Post wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm a bit confused, so I was hoping maybe the list could help.
>>
>> When I read the help on def stg/upd stg for the Maxsi parameter it
>> mentionses
>> two things:
>>
>> 1- It's the size of the physical file (aggregate)
>> 2- it's the size of the file before compression if compression is
>> used.
>>
>> Now during backup I can inmagine that 2 is being used, but during
>> migration/backup stg/whatever I can only inmagine TSM using the
>> size of the
>> aggregate or the size of the file on the filesystem, but not both.
>> So which is
>> it? Is the use of the size of the file before compresion the old way
>> (pre-aggregate) way of doing things? Is the manual wrong? Is the
>> help wrong?
>>
>> (and yes I've read the quickfacts, and no, they don't make things
>> any clearer)
>>

> Hi, Remco -
>
> I think you picked up the item about compression being a participant
> in storage pool operations, from the TSM Concepts redbook.
> Unfortunately, that part of the redbook is poorly written, failing to
> explain the context of its discussion, leading to confusion.
>
> Compression is a factor only when a file is being backed up, and at
> that point the TSM server is evaluating the size reported by the
> client in deciding which storage pool the new object (actually, an
> Aggregate for B/A; an individual file for HSM and perhaps TDPs)

Well, actually, I can inmagine the TSM server allocating the destenation
resource on a per file basis even for B/A client backups. This I get, not from
any redbook, but both the quickfacts and 'help def stg'. Or is there a verb in
the tsm protocol that says someting like: 'hey server! here's a bunch of
files, the grand total is x bytes, make sure you're ready to store it', where
bunch is defined by tnxgroupmax and movebatchsize?

The reason I'm asking:

I've done a query on the contents table that tells me:

1- the number of files in an aggregate
2- the size of the aggregate

This is about as much info as the server has during reclamation/migration etc.
I'm trying to determine how large a maxsize setting would give me how many %
of the total number of files and how many % of the total number of bytes
stored. (so for eg. maxsize of 10MB I have 73% of the total number of files
and they take up about 10% of the total data-volume). I then could determine
the size of a 'FILE' pool to keep all 'small' files on-line for my environment
at this point in time.

Now if the maxsize is _always_ the size of the aggregate, this is a correct
figure (in my environment), but if in one case this is the size of an
individual file (B/A client) to be aggregated, and in another it is the size
of the aggregate... I'm uhhh, trouble because I'll need a larger file pool for
that setting (or I'll end up migrating files to tape that I don't want to
store on tape).

> will
> land in. Once in TSM server storage, the object is just a clump of
> bits: no considerations for compression prevail. Where it will fit
> thereafter is a function of Aggregate size (which can shrink during
> reclamation operations, most visibly via MOVe Data RECONStruct=Yes).

So with reclamation, migration and move data, well TSM working on aggregates
makes sense. But for B/A client activity both make sense, so which is it?

>     Richard Sims

We could of course just test to see what happens, but maybe somebody allready
knows (developers? anyone?)....

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten                      http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 3000    Fax. +31 20 668 3167

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the
computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the
computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to
end." -- Douglas Adams