ADSM-L

Re: dbvols question

2005-12-01 02:57:21
Subject: Re: dbvols question
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 01:57:19 -0600
That depends on how you did the reorganization. Either backup/restore or
DEFINE DBVOL/DELETE DBVOL is probably how you did it, and niether of
those methods will accomplish your goal of spreading out the I/O load.
At least not right away. As time goes on, it should very gradually
spread itself out over all 4 volumes. This process might take months.
One way to speed that process up is the unload/reload sequence, as you
had feared.

In order to accomplish your spreading effect, you need to squeeze it and
force it to divide. Instead of moving it from the 88gb volume to four
22gb volumes, move it in two steps. 19% of 88gb = 16.72gb Therefore,
first, allocate four temporary dbvols only 4.5gb. Do a REDUCE DB down to
the capacity of your added dbvols. Temporarily, it should be nearly 100%
full. Then use the DEFINE DBVOL on each of the new 4.5gb dbvols, and
DELETE DBVOL on the old, to squeeze your 16.72gb of actual data to
almost fill up each of those 4.5gb dbvols. In Step 2, you're going to
replace each of those 4.5gb dbvols with a 22gb dbvol - one at a time -
and then when you're done you will be back to only 19% full, but that
19% which is data will now have been divided into four parts, instead of
remaining concentrated in the first dbvol. Exact precision in
calculating these sizes is unnecessary.

The TSM DB works best on plain ol' JBOD disks. By using the above
squeezing method, you can divide the I/O load without resorting to
striping.

======I have not lost my mind -- it is backed up on tape somewhere.=====