ADSM-L

Re: direct attached disk (DAS) at a tape library?

2004-09-29 12:04:18
Subject: Re: direct attached disk (DAS) at a tape library?
From: "Johnson, Milton" <milton.johnson AT CITIGROUP DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 11:59:16 -0400
Eliza,

This is what I did in an AIX environment:

1) Configure, or confirm the config of, the VTL it self (it comes from
Sepaton configed to your specs): Network config, email config, dns
config, number of drives, number/size of cartridges, etc.

2) Connect the Ethernet port to your network (used for management of the
VTL itself)

3) connect the Sepaton VTL to your fiber adapter on the AIX box

4) On AIX run cfgmgr (this allows AIX to make available the virtual tape
drives at the OS level as rmt devices).

5) On AIX run "lsdev -Cc tape" to confirm that the drives are available.

6) Now to make the AIX tape devices available to TSM
___smitty->Devices->Tivoli Storage Manager Devices->Fibre Channel SAN
Attached Devices->Discover Devices Supported by TSM
___This made 50 drives available to TSM as devices mt0 through mt49 and
the library at lb0

7) Place the following TSM commands into a file "ds_setup.txt", Comment
lines begin with a "#"
# Define a library
DEFine LIBRary DS01 LIBType=SCSI DEVIce=/dev/lb0 SHAREd=no
# Define each drive in the library (created these lines with some unix
scripting)
DEFine DRive DS01 DS01DRV00 DEVIce=/dev/mt0 ONLine=YES element=128
.
.
.
DEFine DRive DS01 DS01DRV49 DEVIce=/dev/mt49 ONLine=YES element=177
# Define a device class for the VTL tapes
DEFine DEVclass DS01TAPE LIBRary=DS01 DEVType=DLT FORMAT=DRIVE
ESTCAPacity=10G MOUNTRetention=1 MOUNTWait=2 MOUNTLimit=DRIVES
# Define a stgpool for
DEFine STGpool DS01POOL DS01TAPE POoltype=PRimary ACCess=READWrite
COLlocate=NO MAXSCRatch=999 REUsedelay=3
# Define a small disk stgpool as a front end for small files.  This
improves performance by
# preventing the so called "wiper effect" (don't ask me, a 1GB stgpool
is no big deal).
DEFine STGpool DS01DISK DISK POoltype=PRimary ACCess=READWrite
MAXSIze=100m NEXTstgpool=DS01POOL HIghmig=90 LOwmig=0 MIGPRocess=1
# Define a volume for DS01DISK
DEFine Volume DS01DISK  /tsm/stgpool/ds01disk/vol1.stg Formatsize=1000
# Now label and checkin the VTL cartridges, takes about 5-6 seconds per
cartridge
LABEl LIBVolume DS01 SEARCH=YES LABELSource=BARCODE CHECKIN=SCRATCH
OVERWRITE=YES

8) Process ds_setup.txt
egrep -v "^#" ds_setup.txt | /usr/bin/dsmadmc -id=<your_admin_id>
-pa=<your_admin_password>
After doing this I pointed a test server to backup to DS01DISK and it
After doing this I pointed a test server to backup to DS01DISK and it
wotked without a problem.  Pretty simple.

H. Milton Johnson