ADSM-L

Re: TDP Informix - copygroup retention values on Server?

2004-07-22 09:32:40
Subject: Re: TDP Informix - copygroup retention values on Server?
From: Bill Boyer <bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:32:12 -0400
For database backups using TDP Informix, you're in luck. Informix uses a
fixed object name for the database full level-0 backup, so you can configure
it for normal TSM retentions. The archive logs are a different matter. They
are unique. A sequential number incremented for each log. So TSM versioning
won't work on that.

For the logs you can do a couple things....One is write some code (either
shell script or Perl) that gets the list of the backup objects by using the
TSM B/A client command line interface with the -SERVERNAME= of your TDPI
stanza. This will connect you to the server as the TDPI nodename. Then issue
a QUERY BACKUP <filespec> to get a list of the backup obejcts. You can then
decide which to EXPIRE using the DSMC.

Another way is to manipulate the SYSUTILS table for the Informix instance.
This table is a lot like the Oralcle RMAN catalog. If you remove entries in
there and then run the ONMSYNC (I think that's the Informix utility) this
will syncronize the SYSUTILS table with TSM.

It would be nice if Informix had a 'DELETE OBSOLETE" command like Oracle
RMAN.

Good Luck!
Bill Boyer
DSS, Inc.