ADSM-L

Re: Taking dbbackups on remote TSM servers

2004-05-06 09:03:06
Subject: Re: Taking dbbackups on remote TSM servers
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 08:01:18 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Anoop Das
>Alex, the "restore dbbackup" command requires that the the dbbackup
volume
>be listed in the volhist file. Once the dbbackup from disk is backed up
>onto tape using dd or tar, I can add this tape volser into the volhist
>file. But how will the "restore dbbackup" command recognise the format
>written in the tape. Also  as I know, dbbackup restore mandates the
>availability of the dbbackup on the catridge.

1. There is no "restore dbbackup" command. There is an operating
system-level operation called "dsmserv restore db".

2. The db backup volume does not *have* to be in the volume history. (It
is easier to perform a restore if it is, but it is not required.)

3. The way that the db backup knows the media format is by having a
device configuration file available to dsmserv that defines the media
format.

--
Mark Stapleton