ADSM-L

Re: TSM AIX server spewing error messages

2004-04-22 17:19:04
Subject: Re: TSM AIX server spewing error messages
From: "Rushforth, Tim" <TRushforth AT WINNIPEG DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 16:18:25 -0500
Well if you want to turn Tape Alert off you can do it in TSM (SET TAPEALERT
OFF).

We've found TapeAlert very useful for a problem we've been having with the
CM chip.

On our current system (5.1.6.4) all we see is slow performance when seeking
data on tape - if we send logs to IBM then they tell us that yes the CM is
invalid for this tape.  Or if we use NTUTIL and send the output to IBM they
can tell us.

If we mount these tapes on a 5.2 system with TapeAlert on we get the
following messages for tapes that have the bad CM:

04/20/2004 09:53:29   ANR8950W Device mt3.0.0.5, volume LT2075L2 has issued
the
                       following Warning TapeAlert: The tape directory on
the
                       tape cartridge just unloaded has been corrupted.
File
                       search performance will be degraded.  The tape
directory
                       can be rebuilt by reading all the data. (SESSION:
125)