ADSM-L

Re: GIGE connectivity via TSM

2004-03-24 12:06:56
Subject: Re: GIGE connectivity via TSM
From: Josh-Daniel Davis <xaminmo AT OMNITECH DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 11:16:47 -0600
Joe,
TCP/IP is always routed based on the IP addresses used.  If you want
your traffic to go over the gigabit card:

If it's on a machine that will be a server for transaction X, then
specify to your client the host name or IP address of the gigabit card.

If it's on a machine that will be a clinet for transaction X, then
specify an IP or hostname of the server that will naturally route over
the desired network interface.

If you are adding the gigabit ethernet as a second IP on the same
network, this is generally bad form and you won't be able to force
traffic over the card.  I think this usually will round-robin on
outbound packets.

If you are adding the gigabit card to a network that the server is not
also connected to, then you will have to specify routing in order to
move this traffic to the card.  Note that routing configuration has to
be configured on each system involved if it's not via connection routes.

There is no such thing as a default NIC in Solaris.  You have a default
route, which is where any traffic will go that is not otherwise routed
elsewhere.

This applies to all TCP/IP operations and not just TSM.

-Josh