ADSM-L

Re: Subfile backups

2003-05-30 10:22:47
Subject: Re: Subfile backups
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 10:22:17 -0400
Hi Tab,

Haven't done WinXP with subfile, but we do a lot of WIn2K Pro with subfile.

When does it engage?
There is (or was) a white paper on the Tivoli site that has the rules in it.
I have copy somewhere, let me know if you need it.

In general, it engages always EXCEPT :
        - for very tiny files (more overhead than the savings you would get)

        - for very big files (I think the limit is 2 GB, but I don't
remember for sure),
             - the subfile capability is disabled on the server end
          (the server default is NO - check q status and look for SUBFILE:
CLIENT)

If the cache directory doesn't exist TSM will create it, so don't worry
about that.

Note:
The FIRST time you back up any file after turning on subfile, all the data
will be sent again; it has to create the "base" file in the cache on the
first run.
The SECOND time you backup up any file after turning on subfile, you should
get small delta files created in the cache, that's when you start to see
improvement.  (And no, I don't know of any way to match the base and delta
files in the cache to actual file names.)

So, to VERIFY that it's working:
 -Just look at the timestamps in the cache directory; they should change
each time you run a backup.
- Another way (the best one) is:
       Set COMPRESSION and ENCRYPTION off in the client (it screws up the
byte counts for this test)
       Take a file of a substantial size (say 20M or more), back it up.  In
the GUI, check the BYTES SENT.
       Make a small change (not an addition) to the file.
       Back it up again with the GUI, and check BYTES SENT.  SHOULD BE
DIFFERENT THIS TIME.
       On Windows, if you have .pst files, they are a great thing to test
with
       (.pst's are the reason we started using subfile in the first place)

One way NOT to check is to look at dsmsched.log - it will continue to show
the FILE SIZE of the files it sends, not the actual byte count.

That should do it!
Wanda